What Happens When You Leave a Comment:
- Your Data: When you drop a comment on our site, we collect the info you’ve entered into the comment form, plus your IP address and the type of browser you use. This helps us catch any spam comments.
Uploading Images Carefully:
- If you upload pictures to the site, try not to include location data (GPS EXIF) because others might download and find out where the photo was taken.
What’s the Deal with Cookies:
- Comment Cookies: Leave a comment? You can choose to save your name, email, and site in cookies. This is just so you don’t have to fill in your details again when you comment next time. These cookies last a year.
- Login Cookies: Visiting our login page sets a temporary cookie to check if your browser accepts cookies, which doesn’t have personal info and is thrown away when you close the browser. Logging in sets up cookies to remember your login info and display options. Login cookies last two days, and screen options cookies last a year. If you hit “Remember Me,” you stay logged in for two weeks. Log out, and those login cookies go away.
- Editing or Publishing: Edit or publish an article, and an additional cookie will be in your browser. This one also doesn’t carry personal info and simply shows the post ID of the article you just edited. It goes away after a day.
Stuff from Other Websites:
Sharing Your Data
Who Sees Your Info:
- Resetting Password: Ask to reset your password, and your IP address will be in the reset email.
Keeping Your Data
How Long We Keep Info:
- Comments: Leave a comment, and that comment and its metadata are kept indefinitely. This is so we can find and approve any follow-up comments automatically.
- Registration: Sign up on our site, and we store the personal info you provide in your user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal info at any time (username can’t be changed). Admins of the site can also see and edit that info.
Your Control Over Your Info:
- Got an account or left comments? You can ask to get an exported file of the personal data we have about you, including any data you’ve given us. You can also ask us to erase any personal data we have about you. This doesn’t include data we have to keep for legal, administrative, or security reasons.
Where Your Data Goes
Checking for Spam:
- Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Keeping Your Health Information Safe:
- We’re committed to protecting your health information in line with HIPAA compliance. You can check out our HIPAA policy here.